Friday, July 27, 2012

Bold Bookcases: Backstroke by Valspar


 This week I checked off another item on my summer to-do list: 


Tal and I spent 3 nights (8 hours total) transforming our boring living room bookcases...
Before

...into a bold blue display area:

After

When I tested out some possible paint choices for the backs of the bookcases, Tal and his mom voted for Behr's Voyage (on the far left):

The color was beautiful and coordinated nicely with the painting over our fireplace, but I was concerned that it was a little too safe and traditional:


In the end, I decided to take a risk and paint the backs of the bookcases a happier and more contemporary teal color (Backstroke by Valspar)...and I love it:

I framed Savannah's artwork and handprint, as well as a
free printable in some leftover Ikea frames: 

I used lots of white accessories, so the teal
color isn't too overpowering:

For cheap art, I framed 2 pieces of scapbook
 paper for a whopping $2:

What a difference a $15 can of paint makes!

P.S. Only one more item is left on my summer to-do list:
paint the garage entry door a golden yellow! :-)

No comments: