Sunday, August 5, 2012

Painted Yellow Door: Gone Bananas by Olympic

On Monday, I crossed off the last task on my summer to-do list:
I painted our garage entry door a golden yellow!

My goal was to make our garage entrance more attractive and inviting by painting it a cheerful yellow. After all, Tal, Savannah, and I (as well as our friends and family) use our garage entrance 99% of the time.

Before

The door makeover took 2 coats of paint and about 24 hours to from start to finish. Last Sunday, I scrubbed the door with 409 to remove the dirt and grease and then let it dry.

On Monday morning,  I took about 1.5 hours to remove the door hardware, set-up, and paint the first coat of Olympic's Gone Bananas (color matched to Behr) on both sides of the door. I used a 4-inch foam roller to minimize brush strokes and exterior latex semi-gloss paint.

Eight hours later, I painted the second coat and let it cure overnight. On Tuesday morning, Tal reinstalled the door hardware.


Tal and I love the results! The yellow hue brightens up our garage, as well as coordinates with our living room painting and the new artwork we hung in our kitchen recently:


As shown below, I painted both sides of the door...as another way to bring our yellow accent color into our home and complement the shell painting in the kitchen:

Inside
(door that opens into the garage) 

Garage Entrance

1 comment:

Rolf Matchen said...

What a bright door you have there, Rachel! It’s eye-catching and you couldn’t avoid noticing it even from a distance. Using a latex semi-gloss coat was a great decision because it provided your door the right gleam -- not dull but not too shiny.