Sunday, November 18, 2012

9 Things I'm Thankful For

As I look forward to Thanksgiving this week, I've been reflecting on 2012 and how God has been good to our family this year. He has blessed us in many ways and provided more than enough in every area of our lives.

Here are 9 things that I'm thankful for:

1. I'm thankful that the Lord continually provides beyond our family's basic needs. With our current economy and recent natural disasters, our family is very aware that many in our country and community lack food, shelter, and jobs. For that reason, I'm thankful for water, heat, and plumbing. I'm thankful that our pantry and fridge are full of food. I'm thankful that we have a warm house and working cars. I'm thankful that we have warm winter coats, shoes that fit, and clean clothes for tomorrow. I'm thankful that Savannah will have Christmas presents under the tree this year.

2. I'm thankful for our jobs. Tal and I both switched jobs this year. I'm thankful that my school is less than a mile from our house. I'm thankful for a shorter commute and that we're spending $300 less in gas each month. I'm thankful that Savannah will attend my school when she starts kindergarten in 1.5 years. Tal has had 3 different jobs this year. In every situation, Tal had multiple job offers and never missed a paycheck. I'm thankful that Tal loves his new career and current job.

3. I'm thankful that Tal and I have a happy, loving, and thriving marriage and that Savannah is growing up in a Christian home that is safe, supportive, and loving.

4. I am thankful for Savannah who brings us joy and laughter and makes our lives more interesting. I'm thankful that the Lord uses Savannah to help us become more patient, selfless, and dependent upon the Lord's wisdom. I'm thankful that Savannah can talk and run around and play.


5. I'm thankful that I passed National Boards. I'm thankful that the Lord gave me strength, wisdom, and perseverance to keep going when I felt tired and discouraged. I'm thankful that I became a better teacher/librarian during the National Boards experience. I'm thankful for my pay raise, which will enable our family to save more for college and retirement, go on vacations, make home improvements, and give more generously to our church and others.

6. I'm thankful that our family is healthy. I can't remember the last time Tal or Savannah had a cold, cough, fever, or flu. I'm thankful that none of us has any diseases or major health problems. I'm thankful that all three of us have health insurance.

7. I'm thankful that I live in the USA, where women like me can get an education and have a career. I'm thankful that we can vote and help choose our leaders. I'm thankful that we can go to church and serve God openly without being persecuted or martyred.

8. I'm thankful for our church and church family. I'm thankful that our church is less than 10 minutes away, so we can easily serve and get involved. I'm thankful for the Spirit-filled teaching and awesome praise and worship. I'm thankful for the friendships. I'm thankful that Tal can use his talents to play the drums and sing in the choir at church.

9. I'm also thankful for some simple joys in life:
  • naps
  • chocolate
  • Chex Mix
  • snuggling with Savannah and Tal
  • libraries
  • parks
  • Chick-fil-a play area
  • a date-night with Tal
  • a clutter-free kitchen
  • a completed load of laundry
  • a clean house
  • a day off from work
  • an extra hour of sleep
  • an couple hours to watch HGTV or a Hallmark movie 
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: