Saturday, April 12, 2014

Getting Ready for the Baby: Childcare

Yesterday Tal and I lined-up full-time childcare for our baby starting in February 2015. A woman named Hiroko, who takes care of teachers' children in her home, will be watching our baby as well when I go back to work after maternity leave.

Why did Tal and I start looking for childcare 8 months ahead of time? Well, we decided to explore other childcare options after we discovered that infant care at Savannah's preschool is booked through January 2015 and costs $1,400 per month.

There were three main reasons why we selected Hiroko to watch our baby:

1. Several teachers from my school highly recommended Hiroko because she takes care of/has taken care of their children. My colleagues rave about how loving, structured, and organized Hiroko is.

2. I can drop off the baby at Hiroko's house at 6:50 A.M. and still get to school on time. I have to be at school by 7:10 A.M., and it has been extremely difficult to find a daycare that opens before 7 A.M.

3. Hiroko charges $30 per day, which is significantly cheaper than other in-home and daycare centers that Tal and I researched.  Plus, we don't have to pay for childcare when the baby is sick or on vacation.

Tal and I are thankful to have such an important decision taken care of!

No comments: