Saturday, January 23, 2016

Refinishing Our Stairs: Reveal!

Tal and I are done refinishing our stairs!


A month ago, Tal ripped out the carpet and staples. Then, he puttied the nail holes and sanded the stairs:

Last weekend, I painted the risers Behr's Ultra Pure White (semi-gloss), 
and Tal painted the treads Behr Black (also in semi-gloss): 

Then, Tal applied two coats of poly (satin finish) with a foam brush. Tal mixed the final coat of poly with a few tablespoons of Clear Grip's nonskid additive to prevent anyone from slipping down our stairs:

A few days ago, I removed the blue painter's tape and used a couple of small art brushes to touch-up the paint on the stairs. Thanks to my mom and cousin Hanja for watching Savannah and Hadley for 3 hours, so I could finish our stair project:

Tal and I love our newly refinished stairs!

Over the last 6 months, Tal and I have made our entry more colorful and inviting by staining the banisters and painting the stairs, as well as by hanging coordinating artwork and updated family photos. This spring Tal and I plan to replace the outdated brass chandelier in our entry...and then our entry makeover will be done! 

No comments: