Monday, June 6, 2016

Living Room Makeover: Part 3 (Design Plan)

Check out my design plan for our living room makeover! Our rug inspired me to create a coastal color palette of light blue, navy blue, cilantro green, and white.  The rug makes a bold statement in the room, so I plan on using small-scale patterns and subdued colors that won't compete with the large-scale patterned rug. 

Also, to prevent the room from feeling dark and heavy with the navy sectional, my goal is to keep the room light and bright by using generous doses of white in the curtains, pillows, and accessories.

I'm waiting until our sectional arrives before I pick out the ottoman, pillows, and end tables. I want to see how the room comes together and what colors and sizes would work best in our living room.

I am excited to work on our living room makeover and can't wait to see how it turns out!


1. Rug: Our rug is the star of the room and the inspiration for our color scheme.
2. Sectional: We ordered the CU2 sectional from Bassett in navy microfiber (not the one pictured below). It will be 8 feet long one side and 12 feet long on the other side and seat 6 people. 

3. Bookcase Artwork: A few weeks ago, I bought this 30 x 40 painting to conceal the TV wires in our living room bookcase. This painting reminds me of the herons that our family sees in the marshes when we visit Salter Path. 


4. Art above Sectional: This 50 x 50 painting reminds me of the beautiful marshes along the coast of NC. It will go above our sectional and help balance the colors around the room.
5. Console Table: At 70 inches long, this console table is long and slim and will be perfect for holding lamps and drinks behind our sectional. On the bottom shelf, I am going to put a couple of large seagrass baskets for throws and pillows.


6. Curtains: The girls and I are driving to Ikea on Saturday to pick up some white Lenda curtains that are 118 inches long. They will be a bright and neutral backdrop for all of the color and pattern in our living room.
7. Wall Color: We are keeping our wall color (Raffia Cream by Behr). It will provide a light and neutral backdrop for our bold and colorful rug and sectional.



8. Back of Bookcases  Paint:  A few years ago, Tal and I painted the backs of our bookcases Backstroke by Valspar. We are keeping this color because it coordinates with our rug.





No comments: